Hi Frank,

Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany ha scritto:
Hi Paolo,

The problem is that forms and report definitions are not documents.
I know, actually they are documents, but this should be an
implementation detail and I hope that in future they will be replaced
from something more suitable than documents.

Call them with another word, if you want :)

Calling them "documents", the distinction between design-time and runtime is being lost. I would call them Form designer and Report designer (at design time) and runtime form instance (at runtime) Not necessarily the form designer has to be the same component used for showing a runtime form instance (IMHO this should be an implementation detail)

Not necessarily a form/report designer must have an own topframe with UI elements like menu and toolbars. For example they could be integrated in the ODB document window.

Speaking of runtime forms, again I don't see the necessity for having word processor capabilities (menu, toolbars, online help, styles, navigator and so on).
IMHO a form could be just a simple window that contains data-aware controls.

I ever thought that using writer documents inside database documents was more a side effect due to the former OOo1.x approach than a precise design choiche, but of course this is just my thought.

[....]
I still think that defining ThisComponent as "the component from which
the macro was invoked" (as opposed to "the component which the macro is
embedded into") was the better choice, and causes less hassle. Finally,
this means that only newly written code needs to care for the new
concept. If we had changed ThisComponent otherwise, then every existing
code (implementing such a functionality as sketched above) would have
needed to be rewritten.

Thank you for explaining the rationale behind your decisions.
As usual you were very detailed and helpful, so thanks for taking the time.

Regarding the ThisDatabaseDocument thing, I'm experimenting.

The open() method is very simple and straightforward and I'm sure that users will be very happy of it, but I noticed a possible problem.

The open method seems not able to create the first connection. This means that you can use the open method only for the second form, but you still have to launch manually a first form.

This makes impossible to use the open() method in order to launch a form from the OnOpen method for example.

Of course you can still use the "old" loadComponentFromUrl() method but IMHO it would be better to have a single method that works in every situation

Thanks
Paolo M