Hi Paolo,

> Not necessarily the form designer has to be the same component used for
> showing a runtime form instance (IMHO this should be an implementation
> detail)
> Speaking of runtime forms, again I don't see the necessity for having
> word processor capabilities (menu, toolbars, online help, styles,
> navigator and so on).
> IMHO a form could be just a simple window that contains data-aware controls.
>
> I ever thought that using writer documents inside database documents was
>    more a side effect due to the former OOo1.x approach than a precise
> design choiche, but of course this is just my thought.

I'm absolutely with you, and if I'm lobbying for years for replacing the
Writer-based forms designer with dialog-based ones :)

> Not necessarily a form/report designer must have an own topframe with UI
> elements like menu and toolbars. For example they could be integrated in
> the ODB document window.

You're talking about MDI (multiple document interface) here, as opposed
to SDI (single document interface).

This was one design decision we had to make when Base was created in the
current form. Finally, the decision for SDI was because of technical
constraints, since OOo doesn't have an infrastructure for MDI.

Yes, MDI would have prevented the irritation around ThisComponent. On
the other hand, we would have needed a new mechanism to obtain the
"current sub frame of the ODB document window". You see, it always boils
down to the final problem that ThisComponent had two meanings in 3.0,
which by accident fell together all the time. With macros in database
documents, those two meanings ("embedding document" and "active (sub)
component") were separated, so no matter the design, another term
besides ThisComponent is needed.

I'll answer the remaining part of your mail separately.

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -