Hi Mathias,

>> This was one design decision we had to make when Base was created in the
>> current form. Finally, the decision for SDI was because of technical
>> constraints, since OOo doesn't have an infrastructure for MDI.
>
> Chosing SDI in favor of MDI was not because we didn't have an
> infrastructure for MDI (we could have created one, we already had two
> different ones in the past ;-)), it was done by intent. SDI enables
> better integration into the Desktop and into other applications.

I beg to disagree. When we decided to "promote" Base to an own top-level
application (this was back in 2.0 times), we considered SDI vs. MDI. And
IIRC, the iTeam had a slight favor towards MDI - which for a document
with sub components seems more natural, your arguments about desktop
integration do not really hold here IMO. However, since the task itself
was big enough, and at that time, even the SDI infrastructure - as far
as UNO was concerned, and we deliberately decided to use the UNO and not
the SFX framework - was not completely mature, we decided against MDI.

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         frank.schoenh...@sun.com -