On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 04:14:20PM -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> >You bet!
>
> Well, it depends on how far you want to take the statement "whatever
> we want it to be" :) *duck*

Good thing you ducked, or you'd be sportin' a black eye, mister!

:-)

> But it isn't, and shouldn't be, a drop-box for every library or suite
> of routines that comes down the path (not that anyone is saying that
> it is or will be).

Agreed. I think that we're all very wary of that, so we've got a nice little
resistance to ending up that way. Two more years from now? *shrug*

> Regarding specifically e-k, as a html parser, it's
> got more a family tie, IMO, to the HTTP server project, than APR.
> I think it fits in better among libapreq than in the APR world,
> mostly because it's focused towards the web server and web server
> functionality.

Eh? I see this as mostly a client library. I'm thinking screen scraping, or
the core of an HTML renderer, or something similar. Yes, it *also* has some
neat server capabilities (filter-based processing).

Because it falls into *both* camps, I don't see it associated with the "HTTP
Server Project".

> Would it destroy APR to fold e-k into it... I don't think so. Is there
> a better place under the ASF than in APR? Maybe :)

I obviously don't see it falling into httpd :-). Elsewhere? Not with our
current structure. If we created a "web" project, then it could go there. Of
course, just about *everything* the ASF does is somehow related to the web,
so I'd be wary of ever giving a +1 to creating a "web" project :-)

Now, if there was a "document" project, or DOM project, or something like
that. We could put the XML parsers, this HTML parser, and prolly some other
xml/jakarta tools in there.

Cheers,
-g

--