At 12:43 PM -0700 8/27/02, Greg Stein wrote:

>> > APR is whatever we want it to be. If we start building things on
>
>You bet!

Well, it depends on how far you want to take the statement "whatever
we want it to be" :) *duck*

> > > top of APR that are functionally distinct from other projects under
>> > the ASF, then I believe it makes sense to keep them as subprojects
>> > of APR. Either we extend the meaning of APR to mean "any portable
>> > libraries" or we take away the "server" in "HTTP Server Project".
>
>Per the Board, we are *already* about portable libraries.

APR has evolved... Not only is the project about a portable runtime
library, but also generic portable libraries as well. I also find this
a Good Thing. Growth is good.

But it isn't, and shouldn't be, a drop-box for every library or suite
of routines that comes down the path (not that anyone is saying that
it is or will be). Regarding specifically e-k, as a html parser, it's
got more a family tie, IMO, to the HTTP server project, than APR.
I think it fits in better among libapreq than in the APR world,
mostly because it's focused towards the web server and web server
functionality.

Would it destroy APR to fold e-k into it... I don't think so. Is there
a better place under the ASF than in APR? Maybe :)
   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   [|]   http://www.jaguNET.com/