Hi,

Adding my two cents to this thread. I would suggest that the Jira format
imposes a high wall for newcomers. Since I have been trying to help with
the project, I have to get familiar with Jira to be able to help with
little changes.
I cannot imagine how much more work others that are contributing constantly
need to do just to keep the Jira format.

One thing that I find limiting with Jira is the ability to discuss an issue
without
it becoming a ticket. I know that for those cases you suggest to use the
mailing list, but that becomes very cumbersome and non responsive.
The conversation with people interested in the same language gets lost.
And also, let's be honest, a mail doest have the same tools that you have in
github to express your ideas. It becomes complicated to show code in a
mail for people to discuss. That is where the "issues" section in github
becomes
a godsent.

I would also suggest that we need other types of channels for
communication.
Fortunately this project has become very attractive to a wide community of
data
munchers but it is very hard for newcomers to get to know the project and to
start contributing. It is difficult to find the right people to talk with
in order to know
where to help and start contributing. For this I would suggest having chats
where informal conversations can happen. I read that your experience with
slack wasn't the best, so I would suggest matrix.org since it is open
source
and decentralised. Btw, these chats should be language specific to avoid
too
much noise coming from all the contributions happening to the project.

Another point that I think would benefit the whole arrow community is to
have
the projects in separate repositories, albeit in the same Apache github
group.
As I mentioned before, the project is super attractive and there should
be an arrow implementation for all the languages under the sun. However,
trying
to keep them all under one location can be complicated for the
administrators.
They have to jump so many hoops just to get a language implementation
to compile. The merges to the repo become harder than they should be.
As long as all the implementations follow the arrow specification and comply
with all the required tests, is it necessary for them to be in the same
repo?
Btw, have a look at the Ballista project. it isnt limited by these
constraints,
allowing it to move faster and capture more contributors.

Sorry for the large mail but I had to take it out of my chest.

Thanks,
Fernando