Hi Fernando,

On Tue, 2 Mar 2021 10:10:45 +0000
Fernando Herrera <fernando.j.herr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Adding my two cents to this thread. I would suggest that the Jira format
> imposes a high wall for newcomers. Since I have been trying to help with
> the project, I have to get familiar with Jira to be able to help with
> little changes.

There is a variety of issue trackers out there.  JIRA, Bugzilla,
Roundup, countless others.  Several of them widely used in the industry
or for open source projects.  Arrow is not a special snowflake for
using something else than Github issues.

> One thing that I find limiting with Jira is the ability to discuss an issue
> without
> it becoming a ticket. I know that for those cases you suggest to use the
> mailing list, but that becomes very cumbersome and non responsive.
> The conversation with people interested in the same language gets lost.
> And also, let's be honest, a mail doest have the same tools that you have in
> github to express your ideas. It becomes complicated to show code in a
> mail for people to discuss. That is where the "issues" section in github
> becomes
> a godsent.

I don't understand.  You're complaining that you have to open a ticket
on JIRA and the solution would be to use Github issues (where you have
to open a ticket) instead?

Or are you talking about something else (a discussions section perhaps)?

> I would also suggest that we need other types of channels for
> communication.
> [...] For this I would suggest having chats
> where informal conversations can happen. I read that your experience with
> slack wasn't the best, so I would suggest matrix.org since it is open
> source
> and decentralised.

So, for the record, Ursa has a public Zulip chat where Arrow
development can be discussed, but in practice it's mostly the C++,
Python and R implementations:
https://ursalabs.zulipchat.com/

> Another point that I think would benefit the whole arrow community is to
> have
> the projects in separate repositories, albeit in the same Apache github
> group.
> As I mentioned before, the project is super attractive and there should
> be an arrow implementation for all the languages under the sun. However,
> trying
> to keep them all under one location can be complicated for the
> administrators.

That definitely could be discussed, but can you open a separate
discussion thread for this?

Regards

Antoine.