On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 05:02:05PM -0700, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> Let me attempt to summarize this thread, if I missed any glaring points feel
> free to bring them up
>
> 4 months:
> Proponents (9): Chip, Alex, David, Noah, Hugo, Joe,  Sebastian, Prasanna,
> Rohit
> Reasoning:
> *     We have not given proper shot to 4 month cycle, this was just the first
> time. Level of automation has increased between 4.0 to 4.1 which lays
> groundwork for better automation
> *     Longer feature cycle will mean more features and bigger and more
> complex release
> *     Faster feedback loop to respond and address problems and shorter wait
> time for feature delivery
>

> 6 months:
> Proponents (12): Will, Animesh, Edison, Frank, Min, Ilya, Kelven, Edison,
> Sudha, Radhika, Nitin, Mice
> Reasoning:
> *     ACS currently has heavy reliance  on manual testing and majority of QA
> comes from 1 company. Shorter release cycle puts more dependence on  timely
> availability of QA to keep up to quality goals
> *     ACS release is expected to be of good quality and support upgrades.
> Longer QA cycle will mean more soak time and better quality.
> *     Less overhead on release fixed cost work (release notes, generating
> release artifacts)
> *     Longer cycles also provides more flexibility in schedule for
> individuals in defect fixing
>

> I still see there is difference of opinion and not a clear consensus with 12
> out of 21 ( approx. 60%) preferring 6 months.  But going by the argument of
> not having given proper shot to 4 month cycle I will say we can keep 4.2 as a
> 4 month cycle and pull in all effort to make it successful.  If it turns out
> that we can work with 4 month schedule that's well and good otherwise we can
> bring this topic again based on the results of running 4 month cycle.
>
> If there is no objection I will proceed with creating 4.2 release page,
> dashboards etc. on Monday
>
> Thanks
> Animesh

Well summarized, and the right way forward when there is no consensus to
change is to "stay the course".  I'm quite happy that this didn't
degenerate into a "holy war" [1] of sorts actually.  Well debated folks.

Yes, let's revisit after 4.2, and even possibly again after that.

-chip

[1] http://producingoss.com/en/common-pitfalls.html#holy-wars