I see where David is coming from.

The longer you leave a release branch, the harder it becomes to QA, the
harder it comes to test, and the harder it becomes to release. As has been
mentioned already, you can think of this as a "release cost". More regular
releases keep complexity down, and reduce anxiety over "will my feature
make the next release?" (Only applicable in a time-based system, like we
have it.)

There's also something else to consider. Releases are like the heartbeat of
a project. They stimulate activity, and they are pillars around which to
market the project and spread the word. Hence, they bring new contributors
to the project. We should be aiming to do as many of them as possible.

In fact, frequency of releases is a reasonable proxy indicator for project
health. Not that that there's much difference between 4 months and 6
months. (Now, 2 years might be a different matter...) But I'm just
illustrating a point here. :)

I think Joe hits the nail on the head when he points out that we haven't
really given it enough time to know whether 4 months is working for us. I
would suggest we give it give it a while longer, and then re-evaluate.

--
NS