Antonio Gallardo <agallardo <at> agssa.net> writes:

> Unico Hommes dijo:
> Since my firsts steps in Cocoon I wondered why it use LogKit and not the
> award winning log4j.

Without a doubt log4j is popular. But popularity is mostly only marginally based
on merit. It proves good marketing, wide adoption and a large community. But it
doesn't prove a it to be the best in terms of code quality, ease of use, or the
most appropriate solution for any given system.

> I understand we need to support it because lot of
> code was written using it,

Actually there is very little code in Cocoon that depends on LogKit directly.
When you use an Avalon Logger in your code this is not part of LogKit. Currently
the default implementation *is* a LogKitLogger but you can also setup your
system to use Log4jLogger, JDK14Logger, etc.

> but.... maybe the solution is to create a block
> for Logkit?

It is important to distinguish between aspects of a system and its components.
Logging clearly is an aspect as opposed to SPI level services like blocks.
Although making Logkit support optional is possible, its not typically
accomplished by making it into a block.

--
Unico