Unico Hommes wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler <at> s-und-n.de> writes:
>
> > So, my suggestion is to:
> > - deprecate the use of LogKit
>
> -0.5
>
> I have been a great fan of LogKit since I first started using
> it through Cocoon.
> Its slim feature set attains the admirable goal of keeping
> things simple, yet it's powerful enough for most of Cocoon's
> usage scenarios. I think it is more intuitive to configure
> than is Log4j. It's very well designed and it's specifically
> designed with the kind of IoC log enabling in mind that we
> will continue to use in the future.
>
> I understand the Avalon community argument and it is good to
> have alternative logging solutions in Cocoon but I feel bad
> about throwing out something I consider to be the best fit
> logging package for Cocoon ATM. BTW I am not following Avalon
> developement very closely anymore, does anyone know what the
> status of LogKit is in Avalon itself (did they deprecate it?).
>
> It is true that Log4j configuration is familiar to most
> people and LogKit's just isn't. But that argument just
> applies to new users of Cocoon. The ones that have been using
> Cocoon are familiar with LogKit and may not be with Log4j.
> Not that it is very difficult to learn to configure either of
> them anyway ;-)

Yes, that's true. My initial post was a little bit unclear :)
The basic idea is to use log4j as default and provide perhaps
a little bit more support for configuration of log4j - whatever
that require. Of course you still will be able to use logkit
if you want (so "deprecating" was a wrong term, sorry).

For the status of logkit, well, currently it's called "legacy" at
Avalon (please correct me, if I'm telling something wrong here).
As far as I remember, the idea is to not continue the development
of Logkit anymore. But I think this is not a problem as Logkit
is working well and is "finished". There is no real need for
further development.

Carsten