On 12/13/19 12:18 AM, Alex Harui wrote:
I've only been partially following, and I hear and respect the desire for "quality
control", but IMO, people talk about Apache all of the time in other events.  For
example, when Flex joined the incubator in January 2012, there was a Flex user conference
shortly after in April 2012.  I spoke there about the transition from Adobe to Apache and
laid out what I knew about Apache at the time.  I posted slides beforehand, but I'm not
sure our Mentors looked them over carefully.  We were a podling, so no official PMC
members and no Mentors were in attendance.  IIRC, I also practiced this presentation at a
small Meetup before the conference.  I'll bet this happens at lots of conferences for
podlings.  I included a disclaimer that I wasn't speaking on behalf of Apache, just
passing on what I've learned so far.

Hence, my gentle suggestions that disclaiming is better than too much oversight
on these community meetings, otherwise ALC is going to be under a heavier
burden than other community outreach.  If that's because you want to make ALC
the official way to learn about Apache, roughly as formal as the Incubator, ok,
then fine, but that might cause other volunteers to shy away or find a path of
less overhead by skipping the ALC title and buying a case of beer instead.

I have no objection to, as you say, people giving talks about Apache, with no "quality control."

I feel, however, that there's a world of difference between that, and us bestowing an *official title* on a group with the Apache name and trademarks. As it happens, so does our Trademarks team, and our Marketing team.

So, yeah, let many flowers bloom, and hundreds or thousands of local user groups giving talks about Apache, and Apache projects. I have no objection whatsoever. But the moment we give them official recognition, and list them on an .apache.org website, everything changes. People's perspective of the group changes. And our legal obligations change, because we have officially recognized the group.

--Rich

On 12/12/19, 2:10 PM, "Craig Russell" <apache....@gmail.com> wrote:

     Hi Swapnil,
I realize I'm coming late to this discussion but would like to offer a small bit of feedback. Like others, I think we need to try to get qualified people running local groups. One Member plus two PMC members gives us three, which is a magic number for decision-making here. Even if they don't attend all meetings, it's at least some oversight from folks who have earned merit. Random talks that present how we do things here, by people we don't know, makes me nervous. We might consider requiring presentations to be posted publicly some time (one week?) before the meeting which would allow for at least some oversight. And there are plenty of such presentations publicly available and some can be edited to suit (e.g. see the Training podling for examples of presentations on The Apache Way). I endorse the concept and look forward to a proposal. Craig > On Dec 11, 2019, at 11:59 AM, Swapnil M Mane <swapnilmm...@apache.org> wrote:

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=www.apache.org&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C3ac2d86ccbf54019b11c08d77f500aba%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637117854065911699&amp;sdata=NQimXPkKRHJo%2FpQ9yYjcnqVPJuVHumRLi6GYPVyQICE%3D&amp;reserved=0

     > On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:20 AM Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
     >>

     >> On 12/6/19 4:42 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
     >>> One potential (if not solution -- but at least a line of thought)
could be

https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Frcbowen.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C3ac2d86ccbf54019b11c08d77f500aba%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C637117854065911699&amp;sdata=vfHus%2BNTsFNCnmwIRFIJunUQ0Qoxv%2BsHBJb5Dsq74EY%3D&amp;reserved=0

Rich Bowen - rbo...@rcbowen.com
http://rcbowen.com/
@rbowen