Hi -

I’ve tracking only loosely this effort. I am very happy to see Swapnil’s effort
and I can see this concept to be very helpful for real face to face community
growth. That is really important as people are connected in the real world!

> On Dec 12, 2019, at 9:18 PM, Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> I've only been partially following, and I hear and respect the desire for
> "quality control", but IMO, people talk about Apache all of the time in other
> events.  For example, when Flex joined the incubator in January 2012, there
> was a Flex user conference shortly after in April 2012.  I spoke there about
> the transition from Adobe to Apache and laid out what I knew about Apache at
> the time.  I posted slides beforehand, but I'm not sure our Mentors looked
> them over carefully.  We were a podling, so no official PMC members and no
> Mentors were in attendance.  IIRC, I also practiced this presentation at a
> small Meetup before the conference.  I'll bet this happens at lots of
> conferences for podlings.  I included a disclaimer that I wasn't speaking on
> behalf of Apache, just passing on what I've learned so far.

Two points.

(1) A Disclaimer is a good idea as is using existing material wherever it is
found on Apache sites and projects.

(2) I was a Flex Mentor. It was my first podling. I was a “junior mentor” and
not yet a Member. I don’t recall the meeting being a big deal in any way for
the mentors.

> Hence, my gentle suggestions that disclaiming is better than too much
> oversight on these community meetings, otherwise ALC is going to be under a
> heavier burden than other community outreach.  If that's because you want to
> make ALC the official way to learn about Apache, roughly as formal as the
> Incubator, ok, then fine, but that might cause other volunteers to shy away
> or find a path of less overhead by skipping the ALC title and buying a case
> of beer instead.

I think ALC is important. It can help with cross pollination between projects.
It can help people find projects and projects find people.

Again I haven’t looked, but to me the most important aspect should be
disclosing scheduling and projects involved followed by some information about
attendance.

I think of an ALC as a meetup of meetups.

Also, is the plan for Comdev to manage the ALCs, conferences, or a new
committee? Or. Is this a combination?

Regards,
Dave