On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:

> Nick, I don't think you are filibustering. You raise a good point that
> has not come up yet.

actually I already raised it. And took the Erlang ml as an example of a
very little traffic list. The advocacy list on postgresql, is also very
little used. Even it was created 10 years ago.

> Namely: what do we consider to be the success criteria of mailing
> lists? And perhaps more importantly: what are the failure criteria?
>
> Here's my attempt at answering those questions.
>
> Success criteria:
>
> - The mailing lists are occasionally used, and when questions are
> posted there, replies are received.
> - People who might not otherwise have been active start to become active.
>
> Failure criteria:
>
> - Mails posted to the list go unread/un-responded to.
> - Something important for the whole community was missed because it
> was happening away from the dev@ list.

These are good points that actually can be applied to this erlang list. It
is too soon to say the same for the others though.

Anyway, This is why I think it's important to see what happen in other
projects so we can anticipate what could happen. At least try to
anticipate. Anticipation and planning are generally a good way to minimize
failures. I mentionned some.

- benoit