Hi Micha,

Michael Strobel wrote:
No, the length and precision are only used when you try to change the table layout or to create a new table.
The problem here seems to be that the data could not be read. The
method getString should always return something.
So may be calling getString for a long var char column doesn't work
for your jdbc driver.

You're right, changing the length and precision in our JDBC driver
didn't resolve the problem, calling getString() for a long varchar
column works fine in my test programs.
The problem that appears when not using clobs is that a race condition
between two threads in our JDBC driver is caused by the use of multiple
simultaneously opened result sets, but I cannot say at moment if this is
because of our JDBC the way OO handles long varchar columns. I hope our
JDBC driver developer can tell me.

I still don't know what's wrong when using clobs. From the tracing info
I got from the JDBC driver I can only tell that OO fetches the column
description and afterwards doesn't try to read/write column values using
getClob() but simply ignores them.
You may have a look at connectivity/source/commontools/FValue.cxx. This class is used to fetch the values from the result set and dbtools.cxx as well. How does your table structure look like? Could you create another db (may be hsqldb) for a testing purpose with some sample data so that I may have a look at it?

Best regards,

Ocke
Best regards,
Micha