Hi Ocke,

I didn't get the chance to finish the case sensitivity problem with Ingres yet,
but meanwhile I have discovered other things and probably at least one of them
is worth an issue.

For some reason Base can't handle values in long varchar columns that exceed a
length of 65535 characters, although most databases can. Don't know if this is
desired behavior or not. Possibly this is wanted because some databases, for
example MS Access, have a limited of 65535 characters for long varchar columns.
Unfortunately that is not the worst thing I discovered.

Try the following using Base and the SDBC-JDBC driver with MySQL and Ingres
database: Copy a string that exceeds 65535 characters into a long varchar
column. The string is cut and a warning is displayed, which is good, but
surprisingly the string is cut to noticeably less than 65535 characters. The
exact number of characters to which the string is cut seems depend on how long
the string you try to insert is.

Then fill the long varchar column with additional characters until you reach
65535 characters or more and click the save button. Now close the table and
reopen it. You will see that the value you edited before is erased. I think
this is be a really bad bug, as it might destroy the users data.

Last but not least, performance. Editing long varchar values in the table view
is very slow, editing them in forms is a lot better. Maybe this is okay as
forms work fine and improvement is difficult.

Best regards,
Micha