Hi Clayton, all,
ccornell - OpenOffice.org wrote:
>> Thank you and Frank for this :) I didn't noticed the More... link at
>> first sight, I think the first reaction is to click on the more
>> prominent link, so I  for myself, prefer the first proposal you made
>> with less to read at the first look. However I really like the hidden
>> text blocks. I'll try to make a proposal tomorrow.

And I didn't have the time to look at it yesterday :(

> I've tinkered a little with the layout Frank came up with and put it
> here: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Talk:Documentation/testpage
> (larger fonts, shorter descriptions etc.)  Maybe this will help with
> making it clear there is a 'More...' link.  Converting it to the
> original idea is not really possible with the extension.  There are
> limitations to how the information can be displayed, and linked.

I would remove the [This is a list of all available documentation
resources on this wiki.] sentence and let only the [Click on the "More"
link to get a list of contents for a particular resource.] and may be
bold it.

> Once we find a way of presenting the info for the Doc project in a way
> that makes sense, we can start to look at how we can categorize and
> group the information we have.  For now, the links/topics/resources are
> more an indication than final group/topic proposals.
>
>  - Can we (should we) use different icons for different topic types
> (using the OOo Galaxy icon style/set)?

Yes
>  - Who are the people looking for info?  The audience?

Beginners to advanced users, developers and may be a redirection for
contributors (links to l10n, QA ?) in non coding areas.

>  - What are the high level tasks that we can use for grouping topics?

The topics you've added to the test page are good but I would separate
the user content from the developer content
May-be :
- administrate: installing/uninstalling, administration guide,
deploying, migrating
- work: users guide, FAQ, how-tos, reference lists, tutorial
- develop: developer guide, basic guide, api and extensions
- contribute: wiki editing policy, QA, l10n, etc.

>  - What books and content do we actually have?

There is several content that I find difficult to access, for example,
for Base, you have:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Database which is
not linked directly on a Base part of the documentation home page
also http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Connecting_dBase_(xBase)
and
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Report_Builder/Documentation
I even discovered that a French page exist
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FR/Base/SUN_Report_Builder

May be we should add the component category and documentation category
to all pages that are documentations?

Kind regards
Sophie