On Apr 21, 2008, at 8:47 PM, Jason Warner wrote:

This may be a dumb question, but what happens if a user submitted content and then submitted a CLA sometime later on. Are CLA's retroactive or does the content submitted before a CLA need to be resubmitted?

Definitely not a dumb question. In the concrete case of someone making contributions to project A then filing a CLA and later becoming a committer to project A, I'd think the CLA would cover all contributions. Similarly, if someone made some contributions and we asked them to file a CLA and they did, I'd count that as good enough. Likely some other scenarios which are less clear, but those two cover the common cases.

And speaking of CLAs, here's a report of users, and their edits, for whom I could not find a CLA:

http://people.apache.org/~dblevins/gmo-revisions-no-cla.log

I think the easiest thing is to just ask for CLAs from everyone on this list (definitely some familiar faces in that list). Afterwards we can deal with what's left which will be a process of evaluating the contributions and making a judgment call on if they fall under either the "minor patch" or the "major contribution" category.

-David