On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Lin Sun <linsun....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am checking at our web profile assemblies to ensure it met the
> requirements for Java EE 6 web profile and prune the unnecessary
> artifacts.   I've been mainly look at the tomcat7-javaee6-web and I
> have some comments/questions:
>
> felix core: i assume we'll always ship 2 osgi runtime?

Yep, that's the plan.

> connector (geronimo-connector, geronimo-connector-builder, connector
> spec):  I think openejb uses connector, so we may have to keep it in.
>
> java ee management 1.1:   Unchanged from Java EE 5.  I assume this is
> provided by geronimo-management.  Not sure if we could remove this?
>
> java ee deployment 1.2 related:  Unchanged from Java EE 5.   we may
> have to keep it in, to keep existing deployment work.
>
> geronimo-javamail: can we get rid of it?  think the answer is yes.

Maybe. Might be nicer to include it.

> geronimo-jaspi: can we get rid of it?  think the answer is yes.

Maybe. Might be nicer to include it.

> geronimo-webservices, geronimo-webservices-builder:  think we could
> remove these.

Yes, i think so.

> geronimo-yoko, yoko: think we could remove these.
>
> spec jars: we seems to include all specs in web profile assembly.
> things that can be removed:  aspic, jaxr, jaxrpc, jaxws, dims, saaj,
> ccpp?

I don't think this is very important. A lot of specs have dependencies
on each other. So this might be a mess to sort it all out. I think we
should be able to include them all even though we don't provide all of
that functionality. At runtime an user should see an error that a
given provider is not found.

> mina: think we could remove it... not sure which web profile function
> it related to.

It's not related to web profile. It used so one can remotely login to
Karaf/Geronimo shell. So this should be totally ok.

> ops4j, pax-loggin-api, pax-url-mvn, pax-url-wrap: think these are just
> test dependencies that were put into the assembly incorrectly.

Again, not related to web profile. And these are used at runtime. We
need them. Expect maybe pax-url-wrap.

> tranql: think we could remove it.
>
> openejb: anything we could do so that we can just have the ejb-lite function?
>
> pluto/portal: I assume these are needed for admin console so we need it.

Right. Shouldn't matter for web profile.

Jarek