It seems hard to remove javamail given openejb depends on it.   At
least for the javamail schema for JNDI, which is used by the
openejb-client.

Also, I don't quite understand this comment in G roomt pom.xml -

           <!-- Use org.apache.geronimo.javamail/geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail
              uber jar containing both the spec and the providers in order that
              users can actually use mail without advanced degrees in geronimo
              classloading.  DO NOT add or replace this with
              org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-javamail_1.4_spec -->
            <dependency>
                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.javamail</groupId>
                <artifactId>geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail</artifactId>
                <version>1.8.1</version>
            </dependency>

This seems to indicate that it is recommended to have java mail spec
and impl together as dependency, instead of just using the spec jar.

Lin