On Mar 23, 2016 3:15 AM, "Steffen" <i...@apachelounge.com> wrote:

> Saw that wrowe did a change win make files in 2.4. branche.
>
> The comment says the the .dsp flies are entirely ! unusable.
>
> I can tell that they are entirely usable with V9-VC14.   What was the
issue ?

They were directly usable on VC98.  They were also directly exportable to
.mak files on that version of the MS build tooling, alone.

In post-VC98 (which cannot be obtained from Microsoft any longer due to the
Sun settlement) they are not "usable" - but they are convertible, although
they are not exportable.  There is lots of documentation on how to
translate these into the modern solution file formats in order to be able
to build httpd on Windows.

But they don't "simply work", e.g. " usable", without this manual
conversion process, do we agree?

The commit did not remove the .dsp files, those who wish to convert the
files into the new GUI schema remain able to do so.

> So please explain why for you it is not usable ?

Some more context can be found here;

http://markmail.org/thread/k2d6nwkz5w3p35yl

If the commit looks familiar, it aught to...

http://markmail.org/message/4gyjktdp7ls3cxij

> Change comment:
>
> The actual .dsp files are entirely unusable for any shipping
> version of MSVC/Visual Studio, while the .mak exports of these
> projects are usable on any flavor of the MS build environment.

I'm happy to edit the commit log message to better reflect the comments
above.

I hope that clarifies this commit and resolves any confusion I might have
created?