> As David mentioned, there isn’t a
> single true ‘solution’ for this problem so the more information we provide
> the better.

Think of it in terms of how your repository is structured:

This issue was *fixed* on git branches [x,y,z] and *affected* tags [a,b,c].

This gives a clear an unambiguous pointer and workflow as to what goes
where. "Affected version" can only point to a tag in git (this
requires every proper release to be tagged, of course). "Fix-for"
points at *all* branches (and tags) a given issue has been applied to
(whether it's the same patch or a backport). Certain branches may not
have anything to do with particular versions yet (branch_6x, master,
major_feature_xyz), others are versions-in-preparation (branch_6_5_1;
so-called release branches).

The additional work (typically of the release manager) is to, when a
given version is being released, add a tag of that particular release
to "fix-for". If the process is followed by everyone this becomes
fairly automatic and results in issues being marked as, for example:

Fix-for: branch_6x, master, 6.5.1, 7.0

All of the above makes sense -- as a developer you immediately see
which git branches this issue was applied to. So do people who are not
developers.

But like I said before, I'm not advocating for this process -- just
wanted to highlight an example of how it can be done. The above
process does require a fairly strict workflow from everyone involved,
so it may be more suited for a corporate environment... But it is
clear (to me at least), verbose, and fairly straightforward, so it
certainly can be done.

D.