I understand the concerns, but let me try and explain where I'm coming from.

On 29/07/2008, at 1:58 AM, John Casey wrote:

What really concerns me is that this release has been in the wild for quite awhile now, and this issue is just coming to light. Plenty of people use proxies, so it's not like it's that shady a corner of the implementation.

Do you mean beta-3, or 2.0.10-RC? For beta-3, the problem is that it's just impossible to test it without upgrading core, because it forces the provider-api on you.

I guess what I'm getting at is I wonder if the test suite for wagon is good enough to give us confidence in moving forward without a substantial soak period in something like Maven (as could happen if we make the change asap after 2.0.10, to give people a lot of time using it in the run-up to 2.0.11).

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure how this is going to be any different to 2.0.10. It was already in there for a month and no one noticed this particular issue. I tested HTTP proxying, but I messed something up in my environment - there is now an integration test to verify it instead. I spent a lot more time on testing WebDAV and SSH as that's where the bulk of the changes were. We did go through a reasonable amount of testing a month ago to the point people were happy to approve the wagon release.

I think this is quite the same as the interpolation changes - we knew they were risky and were prepared to spend more time testing them, and as issues have cropped up you have fixed them and moved forward beefing up the test suite along the way.

The fixes in Wagon have been very insignificant in b3 to b4 if you want to review them all:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-wagon-commits/200806.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-wagon-commits/200807.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-wagon-commits/200807.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-wagon-commits/200807.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

I would prefer to get this in and call on users to test deployment and proxying in their environment specifically. The RCs are the best time to draw light to it.

I care as much as everyone else about not having any regressions. Given the extent of the interpolation changes as well as these, this is a good release to run through a longer series of RCs anyway, and we're in no rush - right?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter