On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 10:59 -0400, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> > > s:validateCompareTo
> > >
> >  And all that code about independently converting a component's submitted
> > value makes me a little nervous. It looks ok, but has anyone properly
> > reviewed it?
>
> The code was pretty much copied verbatim from the Myfaces JSF core.
> In any case, the component has been used by several people for several
> years now, and no one has complained.   If it's a problem down the
> road, I'm sure someone will open a JIRA issue and we can address it at
> that time.

It occurred to me after looking at the code that an alternative might be
to queue an event from the validator. The event should be processed only
at the end of the validation phase, at which time all conversion has
already been done. That could simplify the converter - and it does feel
more elegant to me than having one validator poking around inside
another one.

> > > In tomahawk core, the related files should be moved from sandbox/core to
> > core. In tomahawk core12, a new  dependency to myfaces-commons-converters
> > 1.2.x and myfaces-commons-validators 1.2.x should be added, so the tomahawk
> > core12 tld reference validators and converters from these projects. This
> > introduce a change because
> > > the validatorId and converterId for this components changes (because this
> > converters are defined on myfaces-commons) only on core12.
> >
> >  I don't like the idea of tomahawk1.x having these components internally,
> > while tomahawk2.x uses the version from commons. It's ugly and confusing.
> >
> >  While code duplication is never nice, I think it would be better for
> > tomahawk 1.1.x and 1.2.x to continue to have these components internally,
> > and for commons to have a separate version. It also means that commons can
> > clean up the API without breaking tomahawk users. Yes, it does mean having
> > to apply fixes in two places (tomahawk, commons) but so does the alternative
> > (tomahawk 1.x, commons).
>
> I say we mark the tomahawk validator and converter components as
> deprecated, leaving them as they are and where they are, and copy
> everything to commons.
>
> No one is forced to upgrade unless they need something fixed or
> enhanced, but we don't maintain it in multiple places.

I've lost track now. Is there going to be a commons 1.1.x version or
not?

If there is a commons-1.1.x then I agree my suggestion was completely
wrong. These are just sandbox components. So we could move them directly
into commons, and not promote them into tomahawk at all.

Or possibly leave the original in the sandbox for a while, marked as
deprecated so people have some time to migrate. But I'm not sure that is
needed for sandbox features.

And there would be no dependency from tomahawk to commons. If people
want these, they add the commons lib to their path. The commons libs do
contain their own tld (with its own namespace), yes?

Regards,
Simon