It's great that people are thinking carefully about the right way to handle this new code. But after some pondering, I'm happy for it to go directly into a sandbox here and not through the incubator.

My reasons are:

Incubation is necessary when a brand-new project is created, in order to be sure that a new non-apache development group learn to use apache-style collaboration. But that's not relevant in this case; Werner is familiar with all this and I'l confident he will make sure everything happens in the open.

Incubation is also necessary when the code is for an existing project but that existing project doesn't have committers that will review/commit patches for the new code and doesn't want to grant new unknown people commit rights immediately. But again that's not relevant here; Werner will presumably be acting as reviewer for patches.

So all we need to be concerned about here is that the code is legally unencumbered (a grant should do that), and that there is enough of a community to maintain it long term (which some time in the sandbox can test). And of course that we're all happy with the architecture etc. But for that we need to see the code :-)

I can't see any other reasons for requiring incubation...

Definitely worth asking the incubator group their opinion too, but hopefully they just push it back to us..

Regards, Simon

Martin Marinschek schrieb:
Yes, definitely incubator should be kept in the loop. But I feel a
Grant should be enough, if it is part of the sandbox.

regards,

Martin