Yeah, I thought the same too.
What would be great would be some sort of "annotation scanner" where you can
register a "scanning job" for system startup so that the classpath scanning has
to take place only once and the scanning jobs get called back about the results.

Sure, if a scanning job registers something like "**" all packages get scanned
and startup time is slow again, but this is on the responsibility of the
developer then.

I can help to startup a commons sandbox project and to work out a specification
for the library, but my spare time for coding is very low :-(

Ciao,
Mario