On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 20:04, Laszlo Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, providing FlatLaF Light as the default, maybe the easiest to
> implement, maybe it could be as easy as do a default command line
> switch. (It does not need to change the color profiles in the editor and
> around.

Well, the simplest way is probably in nb/ide.branding

Quick PR at https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/3332  Seems to be
all required to set LaF and editor profile defaults?

> Well, the updater is the app started by the launcher each time (or on an
> empty user dir, I have not checked yet), before the main IDE runs.
> That's the one offer a migration from previous versions. It already has
> some support to write some options to the new user dir. If someone would
> like to pop up a select a LaF on the first start dialog, that could be
> the place to do it.

True.  And also the PR above doesn't alter the LaF that dialog uses.

Around the time Eric and I were discussing templating in the old
version numbers for this in the build (~11.2) I did start playing
around a little with the idea of replacing that dialog with launching
the Tools / Options / Import dialog.  I always use that anyway,
because of switching between different builds that aren't picked up.
Of course, it doesn't do exactly the same things, but the UI is a bit
nicer.  It could be good to consolidate in one place?

The useless startup dialog I think we should get rid of is the UI
reporting one on second launch.  We don't use that for anything now do
we?  And the Read More link is a 404.