While I appreciate Jaroslav's point about libraries being compatible with a
wide variety of Java versions, we do have to balance that with keeping up
with recent developments and the extra effort it entails to avoid using
modern features that are otherwise available.
I personally don't see an issue in dropping Java 8 as a minimum platform
for building or running NetBeans. If you want to run on Java 8, you are
already accustomed to living in the past - you can deal with an older
version of NB or the NB platform that supports Java 8.  I say that however,
having no stake in a NB platform app. It isn't going to affect me. My vote
shouldn't count for much.

But NB or the NB platform isn't the only library an application will use,
and many others are already starting to raise the bar as far as the minimum
supported JDK/JRE.  You can only go back as far as all of your dependencies
will allow.  If there is demand for it, a Java 8 compatible maintenance
branch can be made. One reason for running on JDK 8 mentioned running on
Android.  Are there a significant number of NB platform apps that run on
Android now?  Do they already build with the latest NB platform, or are
they already using an older version anyway - i.e. being on the lastest NB
platform may not be a big deal for them.

An informed decision needs to be based on these details.  Holding back for
JDK 8 compatibility helps no one if there isn't actually any real demand to
do so.

Just my 2c,

Scott