Hi,

Am Freitag, dem 10.02.2023 um 10:12 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 at 19:02, Matthias Bläsing
> <mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
> > - commit to make NetBeans runnable on JDK LTS -1
> > - build with JDK LTS -1
> > - be able to be build with the current JDK
>
> +1 as long as that includes the platform.
>
> That is what I suggested in the other thread (I don't see why we need
> multiple threads incidentally!)
>
> An LTS-1 strategy seems closest to how NetBeans used to function -
> major-1, in a time when it also had more development resources?
>
> Let's also be clear, though, that adopting an LTS-1 strategy means
> dropping JDK 11 support either in our first release after JDK 21, or
> the first after JDK 22 - so latest May 2024.

why would we do that? I said _runnable_ and _buildable_. As long as the
current JDK support the target release I did not exclude that.

> > - keep as many modules as feasible compatible with release 8
>
> -1 : A number of things have come up recently about preparing for JDK
> 21+ that would involve increasing the bytecode level and APIs in some
> core parts of the NetBeans runtime container.

Could you elaborate what that is? Not using Thread#stop and dropping
finalizers is it not. That can be done (with some pain) with support
for 8. So what is the problem?

> We could choose to keep release 8 for some modules that make sense as
> libraries outside of the runtime container - utilities, lookup, etc.?
> But surely it makes more sense to explicitly specify those, so that we
> and third-parties have clarity over which things still support JDK 8?

This might be part of a constructive counter proposal of the "JDK 8
will never die" fraction.

Greetings

Matthias