On Sun, 12 Feb 2023, 19:11 Matthias Bläsing,
<mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, dem 10.02.2023 um 10:12 +0000 schrieb Neil C Smith:
> > On Thu, 9 Feb 2023 at 19:02, Matthias Bläsing
> > <mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid>
> wrote:
> > > - commit to make NetBeans runnable on JDK LTS -1
> > > - build with JDK LTS -1
> > > - be able to be build with the current JDK
> >
> > +1 as long as that includes the platform.
> >
> > That is what I suggested in the other thread (I don't see why we need
> > multiple threads incidentally!)
> >
> > An LTS-1 strategy seems closest to how NetBeans used to function -
> > major-1, in a time when it also had more development resources?
> >
> > Let's also be clear, though, that adopting an LTS-1 strategy means
> > dropping JDK 11 support either in our first release after JDK 21, or
> > the first after JDK 22 - so latest May 2024.
>
> why would we do that? I said _runnable_ and _buildable_. As long as the
> current JDK support the target release I did not exclude that.

In which case I don't understand what you mean by committing to make
NetBeans buildable and runnable on LTS-1? That to me means dropping the
commitment to JDK 11 when it becomes LTS-2.

> > > - keep as many modules as feasible compatible with release 8
> >
> > -1 : A number of things have come up recently about preparing for JDK
> > 21+ that would involve increasing the bytecode level and APIs in some
> > core parts of the NetBeans runtime container.
>
> Could you elaborate what that is? Not using Thread#stop and dropping
> finalizers is it not. That can be done (with some pain) with support
> for 8. So what is the problem?

Yes, those and I think some others. My paragraph after the one you quoted
was acknowledging we can do this for 8 with some pain (headache). The
question is whether it is worth it?