I think I see where you're coming from Chris, and I'm for standards and existing toolsets. I think what we're talking about here is much more simple.

Eventually we'll (hopefully!) get to the point where we want to define polygon boundaries for Geo records and that sort of thing, and doing so with Well Known Text (or even GML) might be a great way to go and would simplify the data model a lot.

For now all we're looking for is a point location for an address, and possibly other things too. Actually, I kind of like the idea of having another ContactMechType for a terrestrial position, and maybe add some sort of positionContactMechId to the PostalAddress entity to point to it for an address.

In any case, we want to keep this simple because chances are we will not use it with a GIS package, unless perhaps to pass the coordinates to something to determine if it is within a boundary or something. More likely we'll use really simple square or circle boundaries and such which are a lot easier to search within using any database using numerical coordinates, and those are easy since we're just talking about point coordinates.

Of course, if someone wants to get into real GIS stuff and enhance the Geo and other entities in OFBiz for that... by all means please go for it!

-David