The part that is overlooked when wanting to go "simple" is that the coordinates
that will be recorded become garbage data when they are stored without the
correct coordinate system reference.  Without the correct coordinate system
reference, the possibility of "eventually" will be removed from your
development path.

Building out the infrastructure to accomodate a coordinate system recreates
about 90% of a GIS infrastructure.  Someone with extensive knowledge of the
nuts and bolts of the entity engine could look at the geotools module matrix
plugins and get an idea on how to build that out appropriately in 1/10th of the
effort.  Taking that approach gives you standards compliance, all of the
calculations you could be concerned with, and a internal map server to boot.

David E Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think I see where you're coming from Chris, and I'm for standards
and existing toolsets. I think what we're talking about here is much
more simple.

Eventually we'll (hopefully!) get to the point where we want to define
polygon boundaries for Geo records and that sort of thing, and doing
so with Well Known Text (or even GML) might be a great way to go and
would simplify the data model a lot.

For now all we're looking for is a point location for an address, and
possibly other things too. Actually, I kind of like the idea of having
another ContactMechType for a terrestrial position, and maybe add some
sort of positionContactMechId to the PostalAddress entity to point to
it for an address.

In any case, we want to keep this simple because chances are we will
not use it with a GIS package, unless perhaps to pass the coordinates
to something to determine if it is within a boundary or something.
More likely we'll use really simple square or circle boundaries and
such which are a lot easier to search within using any database using
numerical coordinates, and those are easy since we're just talking
about point coordinates.

Of course, if someone wants to get into real GIS stuff and enhance the
Geo and other entities in OFBiz for that... by all means please go for
it!

-David