I apologize, I thought we had discussed this and based on replies that there was a general understanding of what the point of a portal component in the framework would be.

The general idea is to have a webapp that is part of the framework that any user can go to and see a "home" screen sort of thing that is appropriate for their role(s). In other words we would have a number of portal pages pre-configured for different roles, and permissions to determine ability to access each. If a user has a permission then the portal page is available to them, and there could more than one portal page.

One of the nice things about the "portal" idea is that we can have a large library of "portlets", which would just be thinly wrapped screens and shouldn't be too hard to build (not automatic, but not tons of work either). With these in place a user can customize the OOTB portal pages or maybe even create their own.

Anyway, this OOTB application would be a generic place to see the portal pages available and such. The reason to have it in the framework is to have it be a fundamental part of the project that other components can build on, mostly by configuring portal pages and pointing to portlets made available in that component or others in depends on.

In short this enables an alternate, and easily configurable, UI.

-David