I try to write down some ideas I have on how I would like add-on
modules in OFBiz.

-- Add-on module management --
Every module should have a name, a version, a description, an author etc.
Every module should have a list of modules from which it depends.
A module should be added to the system using an add-on manager application.
The add-on manager should be able to list all the modules installed
with their version and dependencies.
The add-on manager should let a module installation (or activation)
only if all other required modules are installed and activated.

-- Module integration --
An "administration" application should be used to set all
configurations for all the modules (core and add-on). The
configuration fields or fieldgroups for all the modules should be
added to the admin configuration screens.
Additional modules, when added to the system, should be able to add
new features into other, pre-existent modules without requiring the
pre-existent modules to be aware of them.

Example:
In the catalog application, when looking at a product, there is a
button that allows to go to the ecommerce page for that product.
This is an example of how two applications are linked in a way that
ties them toghether so that it is not possible to install one without
the other.
The ecommerce application depends on the catalog but the other way
around should not be. This ecommerce page link (not only this of
course) is an example of the catalog dependence on the ecommerce that
should not be.
This ecommerce page link button should be, in some way, not
implemented in the catalog application but in the ecommerce one. The
catalog application should only allow a plug-in hosting features
(hooks ?) that allows other applications to add links, fields etc. to
the product page and in all other places.

While looking at a party, there are links in the menu that go to
"Shopping list", to "Employment applications", to "Billing and
financial accounts", "Orders", "Quotes" and even "Geolocation".
What happens if I want to use OFBiz to manage people that is not
supposed to buy things but, for instance, doing something else?
What happens if the users are not connected to the Internet and have
no possibility to access the Googlemap for the Geolocalization?

In these cases I would like to be able to disable (or not install) the
Geolocalization, the orders, the accounting and the human resources
modules.
All the links should be automatically removed from the UI.

I know that the entity, screen, form, menu extension system allows to
have a new application that extends some other but what I think would
be nice is a mechanism that allows a new application to change the
behaviour of an "old" application (without changing its code).

What about a system that allows to define a menu extension to a
pre-existent menu?
By this I mean that supposing to have an applicationA with a menuA, if
I install an additional applicationB, this application is able to add
a couple of menuitems to the menuA of the applicationA.
And what about if this would be done on screens also?

Thank you,
-Bruno