On 12/09/2010 06:09 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:
You got me there Adam.
and I am not saying we test or run upgrade at each update of 10.4.
based on efforts so far I don't expect the effort I outlined to be done
by the volunteers, though they are the best qualified to do this.

as you see I do take my support of ofbiz seriously.
and when you multiply this more than 50 times it turns out to be more
than a man year to release what I consider stable systems.

We don't upgrade production systems. We leave them alone. If there are problems, we backport changes into whatever version of ofbiz is deployed. For the last 3 years, that has been thru a debian package of ofbiz. When a client has a problem, and it gets fixed, using the debian package allows us to get that same fix out to other production instances running the same version.

We also manage the debian package thru git, and it's possible to checkout the exact version of the debian package locally onto the production system. We then change OFBIZ_HOME in the init script to point to the checkout, and can then fix the code in place. Once the fix works, it is copied into the build system, and a new package is produced.

Full ofbiz package upgrades are never done without a client paying.

I currently have ofbiz packages of 595296, 811564, and 902021 that I have to maintain. There are some really old versions, where we would take a snapshot of whatever ofbiz was current at the time the new job was created, but we've moved away from that. Instead, the company as a whole decided to stick with a version of ofbiz for an extended period. This period tends to be yearly(but that's not set in stone).