On 12/09/2010 05:11 PM, BJ Freeman wrote:
> [snip, just want to talk about the next paragraph]

If everyone stop contributing the way they do(little or no intensive
testing, and upgrade paths), maybe I could get release stable. So I
don't see the "gifts" as that.

What do you mean, getting a release stable? Are you deploying new applications on trunk, and then after the deployment, continuing to upgrade to the latest trunk each time, in a production environment? If so, then don't do that.

In all the various open source projects I have been involved with, *none* have ever done full upgrade testing, full system regression, on trunk. Only when the set of features stablizes, and a real release is iniment, does final upgrade testing occur, and release notes get finalized.

A feature added to trunk during a development cycle may end up getting completely rewritten, or removed, before the next stable release comes out. If we follow your design practice, then every single change will have to come with full deprecation of old features, full upgrade support, and nothing will actually get implemented.

Here at brainfood, our current ofbiz deployments are based on svn 902021. There was nothing special about that particular version. I just happened to have time to create a new ofbiz.deb package(we use debian internally). Since then, there have been 447 commits to our local package, and 42 separate package releases. 99% of those changes are backports(actually, we use git, so they are called cherry-picks) directly from trunk. I've been able to do this all on my own, a single person, in addition to my other duties. It has not been a huge sap on my personal resources.