Please see inline:

On Nov 16, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi Jacopo,
>
> So apart the next step is to move all specialpurpose components to Apache
> Extras. Are we still all OK to do that?

I don't think we should move all specialpurpose components out of the project,
and for sure not all of them in one shot: we could discuss on a per component
basis.

> I heard here and there that not all the community is expecting good from this
> move.

Of course it will be impossible to make everyone happy but the feedback I am
reading in this thread makes me happy (no dramatic tones, like happened in the
past, willing to evaluate pros and cons etc..).
BTW, some time ago I also proposed an alternative path: see email with subject
"[PROPOSAL] from specialpurpose to extras": to that I can add that we could
provide two set of ant scripts, one similar to the one we have that
builds/tests everything (framework+applications+specialpurpose) and one (the
default) that only builds/tests the framework+applications; the release
branches may only contain the framework+applications and separate releases of
specialpurpose applications could be voted/released at different time. This
approach may reach two goals:
1) slim down the "main" code that the community is more focused to
improve/maintain/release
2) keep under the OFBiz community the ownership of all the other specialpurpose
components (this should address Paul's concerns); if one of them will get more
attention and interest and could grow in quality or it is generic enough we
could decide to move it to the release branch (maybe move it to applications)

> Like less attention to moved components or new component going only to Apache
> Extras.
> An example is the new Solr component wich is supposed to be used with the
> eCommerce component.

The problem I have with these components (and to be clear I am not referring to
this specific contribution) is that they are one particular implementation (and
very often not the best) of a requirement (e.g. Solr integration, reporting
tool, help system etc...) and there could be 100 others different ways to
implement the same: for example, even if everyone agrees that the "online help"
is useful, there are many doubts that the specific implementation of it we are
discussing is the right way to go; or even if everyone agrees that a better
reporting tool would be nice to have, there are many that think that the
current Birt component is not the right way to go.

Kind regards,

Jacopo