On 7/12/2012, at 12:43 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Olivier Heintz wrote:
>
>> If I correctly understand the commiter groups roles, it's to coordinate,
>> animate and help the community to enhance (technically, functions,
>> quality, ...) the project, not to force or constrain to work only on a
>> short list of subject.
>
> Correct, and no one is *forcing* anyone (again, please help to keep the
> conversation relaxed): the committer group is helping to show some of the
> priorities of the project but anyone is free to work on different tasks; but
> of course this doesn't necessarily mean that the committers will have to make
> it part of the project even if they do not think it is a good fit (here I am
> talking in general, not on this specific topic).
>

>> Erwan works on software quality from a long time and it's not its first
>> contributions on this subject. I don't understand why he should wait
>> someone ask him to work on it.
>
> See above (of course Erwan is free to work on what he wants but if he wants
> to commit it to OFBiz and there are concerns in the committer group they have
> to be addressed).
>
> Jacopo

One thing I'm starting to get tired of is contributors (and committers)
beginning major works without a thorough discussion about the suitability of
the work for OFBiz before starting.  I find it frustrating that reviewers are
then forced to review under some sort of urgency because it is "ready to
commit" and also made to feel like the contributor's time has been wasted if
there are any major issues/disagreements with the design decisions made in the
work.

In regards to Jacques, I also find it frustrating that he encourages and
actively participates in this behavior without actually really performing much
in the way of design review other than a generic "does it seem like a good
feature?" test.  Don't get me wrong, encouraging contributors to contribute is
a great thing and Jacques does an amazing job interacting with the community as
a whole but whenever a major work is undertaken without prior discussion then
the contributor is taking a big gamble and they should be made well aware of
that before starting.

Regards
Scott