Maybe more of this work needs to be done in feature branches? You can make the
argument that SVN (at least as far as I know) encourages an "everything goes in
the central repository" work flow because it doesn't have the GIT distributed
workflow. We certainly don't want to discourage new and adventurous development
because that is the road to "fossilization" but, on the other hand, we
definitely don't want every wild idea just going into upstream and turning it
into a big mess. In the GIT workflow, these changes would be made in someone's
fork and they would issue a pull request. Reasonable criticisms about style or
architecture would be addressed and then the work would be pulled in as a whole
when it reaches a certain level of quality.

This is an important topic. Its basically the same issue that provoked David to
go create the Moqui framework. Evolving the platform while keeping
architectural coherency and stability is not easy. I do think we need to pursue
this "app store" concept and find a way for "plugins" to be a major part of how
we add features. Adding these features in needs to be as easy as clearing the
cache in Webtools so that implementors do not feel like they are a "second
class citizen" just because their code isn't in the core upstream repository.
If we figured that out properly we might want to jettison A LOT more stuff from
core.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
e...@brainfood.com