On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Graham Lauder <y...@apache.org> wrote:
> .
> >
> > I've made a start on the Main, Introduction and sharing files pages.  I'd
> > forgotten how unsatisfactory it was, it was a bit of a rushed job after
> all.
> > I'm beginning to think that considering the amount of work that is going
> > be required to bring it up to scratch that it may be more sensible just
> go
> > full on with the new guide.
> >  It would also give us the advantage of it being under the Apache
> License.
> >

> I'm not opposed to starting a new document.  But I'm unlikely to pull
> out of my head a comprehensive set of functional differences between
> MS Office and AOO and hints for users.  That seems to be the focus of
> that wiki page.  In fact I'd even argue that the document is misnamed.
>  I'd call it "A Guide to Apache OpenOffice for Former Microsoft Office
> Users" or "And End User's guide to Moving from Microsoft Office to
> Apache OpenOffice" something like that.

+1, and in that light it makes it probably more useful to that User set.
 Certainly more so than a document that can be used to ease migration

> Where I could offer more new content would be on the higher level
> migration issues, organizational strategies/approaches for migrating.

Excellent, especially for Large Enterprises.  I've been involved with
migration in Corporate environments but usually only at the implementation
stage and only once at the planning stage and even then it was limited to
driving the senior management team to see the benefits and to get them
behind it.
That particular migration is why I'm so keen to get a decent Migration
Guide.  The move to OOo was successful for over a year and a new head of
ISS came in and bought MSO licenses across the org.  That was not such a
big deal,  the big deal to me is that there was hardly a wimper of
objection from Dept heads.
 My gut feeling is that initially the whole thing was done as means of
reducing licensing penalty exposure.  They had bought a large Govt
Department and had no idea what their IT hardware and software inventory
was.  (I was told not to tell anyone about the migration because they were
very concerned about a BSA audit that could have run into many hundreds of
thousands of dollars in non-compliance penalties). One of the reasons I
hate the idea of us claiming "Cost Free".
They went back to MSO easily because the exit from OOo was seen as "Cost
Free".  What REALLY peed me off, was that MS got to crow about the shift
back and I had been sworn to secrecy!   So any Corporate Migration Guide
has to honestly assist in cost evaluation of exit strategies in both
directions.  I can estimate but really it's way outside my experience.

Cheers
GL