Hi,
On 2014-04-14, at 11:33, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/14/2014 07:20 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>>

>> On 2014-04-14, at 09:39, Samer Mansour <samer...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Odd, I thought this was pretty obvious:
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/why/why_sme.html  Its only 2 clicks into
>>> the site. I want to learn more -> Businesses, third bullet down.
>>>
>>> This may be a product of our localized sites not existing / being
>>> updated. This person was inquiring for a Malaysian business, not
>>> sure if the person inquiring was also from Malaysia.
>>>
>>> Samer

>> Being obvious, stating the repeated—then stating it again—is no proof
>> against the wilfully oblivious poster who feels compelled to
>> correspond personally with seeming humans to obtain requisite legal
>> permissions; in fact, it may be legally required to get an actual
>> reply from the copyright holder that commercial usage of this free
>> software is permitted.
>>
>> At least, that was my experience long long ago.
>>
>> Having a FAQ, as we did at Sun, helped--but only for this we
>> envisioned being like us. In the end, just spending time at night
>> with the outlier questions seemed most expeditious. louis
>>

> Maybe it would help to include an additional question on the
> "I want to learn more about OpenOffice" topic on the home page of the website
> -- "What is the cost for licenses?"
>
> or something similar

-1. A link to FAQ might do the trick. But how many queries of this sort
(clueless) do we actually get? Not that many, yes? I would rather we keep our
website as clean and direct as possible, and invite people to contribute, yes,
and to distribute, but given *why* people come to the site, the simpler the
better. Analogues: Mozilla, for one but one could also point to other open
source apps that are commodified, e.g., Drupal, https://drupal.org/. (Drupal's
site is clearly not meant for the naive user, however.)

-louis