On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> On 2014-04-14, at 11:33, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Being obvious, stating the repeated—then stating it again—is no proof
>>> against the wilfully oblivious poster who feels compelled to
>>> correspond personally with seeming humans to obtain requisite legal
>>> permissions; in fact, it may be legally required to get an actual
>>> reply from the copyright holder that commercial usage of this free
>>> software is permitted.
>>>
>>> At least, that was my experience long long ago.
>>>
>>> Having a FAQ, as we did at Sun, helped--but only for this we
>>> envisioned being like us. In the end, just spending time at night
>>> with the outlier questions seemed most expeditious. louis
>>>

>> Maybe it would help to include an additional question on the
>> "I want to learn more about OpenOffice" topic on the home page of the
>> website -- "What is the cost for licenses?"
>>
>> or something similar
>
> -1. A link to FAQ might do the trick. But how many queries of this sort
> (clueless) do we actually get? Not that many, yes? I would rather we keep our
> website as clean and direct as possible, and invite people to contribute,
> yes, and to distribute, but given *why* people come to the site, the simpler
> the better. Analogues: Mozilla, for one but one could also point to other
> open source apps that are commodified, e.g., Drupal, https://drupal.org/.
> (Drupal's site is clearly not meant for the naive user, however.)

Actually, we've had a few of these in the last month or so, variations
on "May I use OpenOffice commercially", "May I pre-install OpenOffice
on hardware that I'm distributing", and "I'm a central buying
authority and I have paperwork to fill out on all the software my
customer uses".   We're dealing in these cases with bureaucrats, not
familiar with open source software.  If there is not a box in their
form for open source they might not know what to do.

I doubt they'll find on their own whatever page we put this info in,
but it would be a time saver just to be able to point them to it next
time.

-Rob