On 15/01/2015 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
I also think that there is a serious misunderstanding of
what it means to be PMC Chair.

I will comment on a few items only, merely for clarifying previous discussions. I think Dennis is right here, but I explained the Chair role at the beginning, I don't see it as a big transition in general. Chair duties are maybe 20% of what I do for the project, meaning that the remaining 80% is done as an ordinary committer.

I do think folks need to be clear that Andrea is leaving the Chair
position and he is perfectly capable of asking the ASF Board to replace
him if the Project is unable to do so. An offer to wait for a
replacement doesn't have to be on the table forever. Of course,
intervention by the Board invites all manner of unintended consequences,
and I would think there is enough sense of community to avoid that risk.

Yes, it's much better to find a solution (any solution) within the community; the Board is the last option.

Regards,
  Andrea.