> On 15 Jan 2015, at 03:57, Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> O.Felka wrote:
>> Am 15.01.2015 um 09:04 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> Procedural note: I didn't add it to my initial mail in order to keep it
>>> short, but it is highly recommended that -1 votes be accompanied by a
>>> brief motivation (1-2 lines), especially if you haven't participated in
>>> the discussions so far. Knowing what is wrong can help a lot. This holds
>>> for the -1 votes that have already been expressed too.
>>
>> If this should be a vote no one has to argue for his decision.
>
> Ultimately the +1, 0 or -1 is what counts, indeed.
>
> But in the case of a -1, an explanation is always helpful to understand
> what's wrong (wrong timing, and why? wrong person, and why? do you see an
> option we didn't consider, and which one?). So it is very common practice,
> unless it's clear from the previous discussion, to provide it. And I would
> personally find it very useful.

I was curious about the provisions for -1 votes as stated in the AOO pages. I
found this:

quote/
Calling a Vote

Once it is time to call the vote a mail is posted with a subject starting with
"[VOTE]". This enables the community members to ensure they do not miss an
important vote thread. It also indicates that this is not consensus building
but a formal vote. The initiator is responsible for the vote. That means also
to count the votes and present the results. Everyone has 1 vote.

Casting Your Vote
The notation used in voting is:

+1 (means I vote positive) You can say why you vote positive but it's not a
must-have.

0 (means vote abstention and nothing else)

-1 (means I vote negative because of the following reason) Yes, you must
support your objection and provide an alternative course of action that you are
willing and able to implement (where appropriate).
/quote
From: http://openoffice.apache.org/docs/governance/voting.html

The point here is that the vote is supposed to be a formality, and the
conclusion basically known in advance. arrived at through the discussions that
would have preceded the vote itself. Therefore, if someone votes -1, the
assumption is that there's got to be a reason for it. Ideally, the reason for a
-1 would have been expressed during the discussion period. As the roles that we
have are actually not at all like what we had with OOo and more administrative
(See http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html), it would help the future of
the community (not just me or Andrea or any other future candidate) to know
what prompts a -1. (Abstentions are a different matter. They indicate nothing.)

> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Best,
Louis