On 4/4/2016 2:59 PM, Marcus wrote:
Am 04/04/2016 11:30 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
In any case, since we don't currently have "official"
distros for Solaris -- I would be content changing all these
issues to ENHANCEMENT rather than DEFECT.

Thoughts?

I think this wouldn't change the actual problem: Somebody has to do the
change in the code. We have neglected this platform and this is IMHO
also one reason that we don't offer any builds anymore.

Let's see what Patricia will say about the effort she sees.

I think Apostolos Syropoulos makes a strong case for using gcc in preference to SunStudio.

A lot depends on whether the changes suggested in the article https://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/compiling-openoffice4/ still work. It was last modified in 2014. I can't determine that very easily without experimenting.

If the rest of the PMC wants me to make the effort, I would request a Solaris ssh account from Adfinis, check out the current trunk there, check/apply all available Solaris patches, including the switch to gcc, and attempt a build. If the patches work, and pass inspection, I would commit them to svn.

If that all works, I could continue to review, test, and check in patches suggested by people working on Solaris. Would I need AOO BugZilla issues supporting my changes?

Patricia