Am 04/05/2016 01:51 AM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
On 4/4/2016 2:59 PM, Marcus wrote:
Am 04/04/2016 11:30 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
In any case, since we don't currently have "official"
distros for Solaris -- I would be content changing all these
issues to ENHANCEMENT rather than DEFECT.

Thoughts?

I think this wouldn't change the actual problem: Somebody has to do the
change in the code. We have neglected this platform and this is IMHO
also one reason that we don't offer any builds anymore.

Let's see what Patricia will say about the effort she sees.

I think Apostolos Syropoulos makes a strong case for using gcc in
preference to SunStudio.

A lot depends on whether the changes suggested in the article
https://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/compiling-openoffice4/
still work. It was last modified in 2014. I can't determine that very
easily without experimenting.

should be easy for him to tell us. ;-)

If the rest of the PMC wants me to make the effort, I would request a

Of course it's your decision. But if it's not that much effort IMHO it is worth to do the compiler change.

Solaris ssh account from Adfinis, check out the current trunk there,
check/apply all available Solaris patches, including the switch to gcc,
and attempt a build. If the patches work, and pass inspection, I would
commit them to svn.

OK, sounds good.

If that all works, I could continue to review, test, and check in
patches suggested by people working on Solaris. Would I need AOO
BugZilla issues supporting my changes?

I suggest to use a BZ issue for the initial work. On the the basis of the coming patches and the documentation of the work alone it makes sense to do the little extra step. For other things after that we have to see again.

Marcus