How do we then distinguish one beta build from another? By Build number? We
need to track build versions.

If the vote is the only bad things we could use following flow:
The last voted RC does not have to be the last beta RC. We have special beta
splash screens. Maybe an warning in about.
When the quality of the release is production ready we close the beta, remove
all beta specials and build a last production version and that will be voted on.

By this we have simple names, every one can follow, plus we do not break our
work process.

All the best
Peter