On Tue, 26 May 2020 19:30:04 +0100 (WEST)
Pedro Lino <pedro.l...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi Rory
>

> > > I believe it would have more impact (and still be correct) if you
> > > replaced it with
> > >
> > > "the software reads all current file types of major competitors."
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Pedro
> >
> > My reasoning for the earlier wording which I suggested is that many users,
> > becoming more and more inexperienced, expect every file to open with
> > OpenOffice; they take it as a personal insult when a file does not open,
> > for whatever reason. I prefer the slight ambiguity of "most".
>
> That is why I suggest "file types". I understand that users expect OpenOffice
> to open every file. But I also expect my "old" Office 2016 to open every
> Microsoft OOXML file correctly and it does not...
> Should we give up on educating users because they feel insulted? Should we
> not insist on Open Document because most users want to keep using Microsoft
> file formats?
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

I am coming to the stage where I despair of ever educating the average computer
user, usually two generations later than my own - they see the computer as a
"Magic Box", and expect it to read their minds.  Look even at postings on the
Dev and the User lists - they rarely read any instructions, cannot (and do not
search), and expect a short simple answer to t he most complex of questions, an
answer that does not require them to think.  And if the Dev and User lists are
bad, just look at the queries on the Forum!

Rory

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>