On 6/1/2020 10:51 PM, F Campos Costero wrote:
> Peter - I regret that my suggestion came across as wanting to "boss people
> around". I was responding really to this comment earlier in the thread
>> Because all people who expressed interest expected they are told what
>> needs to be done where. They did not felt
>>
>> comfortable to figure that out on their own.
>
> All I meant was that a solution could be to provide such people with
> concrete suggestions of what to do first. Of course that can take into
> account their interests, skill level and available time. I am sure lists of
> possible contributions can be helpful for them to make a decision and it
> would make sense to start with that. But the success rate of recruiting
> using the self-directed approach has been very low. I do not understand why
> providing the option for more guidance to those who want it is so
> objectionable.  I  expect that many people joining a project feel lost and
> would appreciate getting more direction at first. It would be natural for
> them to become more independent after making a contribution or two.
>
> I hope Keith will express his opinion on this.

I am fully in agreement with you on this not being a boss/worker
hierarchical approach but more of one of mentoring and guiding
volunteers into the "Apache Way." How that gets done is more of an
implementation detail that can be worked out and will most likely remain
a work in progress as new volunteers come forward.

Regards
Keith