Peter - I regret that my suggestion came across as wanting to "boss people
around". I was responding really to this comment earlier in the thread
> Because all people who expressed interest expected they are told what
> needs to be done where. They did not felt
>
> comfortable to figure that out on their own.

All I meant was that a solution could be to provide such people with
concrete suggestions of what to do first. Of course that can take into
account their interests, skill level and available time. I am sure lists of
possible contributions can be helpful for them to make a decision and it
would make sense to start with that. But the success rate of recruiting
using the self-directed approach has been very low. I do not understand why
providing the option for more guidance to those who want it is so
objectionable.  I  expect that many people joining a project feel lost and
would appreciate getting more direction at first. It would be natural for
them to become more independent after making a contribution or two.

I hope Keith will express his opinion on this.

Francis